So that was Autism Awareness Month. It was the first one for us with a real diagnosis rather than last years suspicions. For us personally it hasn't made much difference but if it has spread the word about being more aware and accepting of autism then I suppose it will have a ripple effect. My worry is that these 'Awareness' months and days are all very well intended and hopefully raise profiles and money for charities, but does the awareness go past the people it affects?We share statuses on Facebook and the odd person will like it (even share it if we're lucky) but what does that do? My Twitterati are a fabulous bunch but they are probably 60% special needs parents, special needs adults and companies who work in the field. Do the other 40% re-tweet my autism related posts? Not often. This week I was directed on Facebook to a page called "Aspergers is funny because they turn into murderers." I was obviously sent there to report it by another Mum like myself. How are we meant to be positive about awareness and acceptance for our families when there is such utter stupidity and ignorance in the world? Yesterday I went to look at a special needs school for my daughter as nursery is fast approaching. Her lovely mainstream pre-nursery group are doing wonders but eventually she would have to move out of the tiny group she's in now into the hardcore 3+ nursery group. (Hardcore might be a tad extreme but it is manic...too manic for her.) If she didn't transfer up into that group it would mean trying to transition her from where she is now to reception, that's not going to work.A special school or a unit are the best idea, for now. Maybe after a year or two her communication will catch up with her intellect and the special setting won't be needed. Then again it was lovely and calm and considerably quiet. Mainstream schools aren't quiet. Mainstream schools don't have two sensory rooms and access to one to one support as well as Speech and Language and Physiotherapy when needed. Quite frankly after visiting the school I think it should be mandatory for all the idiots who liked the above page. The school was great and the kids were happy, not murderers in the making (this makes me angry even typing it.) If I'm honest as a quiet child I think I'd have flourished in a school like the one I saw yesterday and I had no additional needs, who'd want to be in mainstream when this is on offer?